“He obviously said no” – Newcastle contact with manager revealed, being ‘second last’ didn’t help
Italian analyst Pasquale Bruno has revealed Antonio Conte rejected an approach from Newcastle, with the Italian set to take charge at Tottenham instead.
Conte is the favourite to replace Nuno Espirito Santo, who was sacked by Tottenham on Monday after just ten games in charge.
Talks are already reportedly at an advanced stage with the Italian, who could even be announced as soon as today.
It will mark a return to English football for Conte, who enjoyed success with Chelsea between 2016 and 2018.
He’s been out of work since leaving Inter Milan in the summer but has been linked with pretty much every big job in Europe since, courtesy of his long and successful career so far.
Indeed, he was the big favourite for the Tottenham job in the summer but failed to secure the move as talks between him and Spurs’ hierarchy collapsed over the structure at the club.
Newcastle were also in the mix as they look for a big-name replacement for Steve Bruce, and Bruno says there was an approach from the Magpies.
“I spoke to him a week ago: some friends of mine close to Newcastle had asked Antonio if he was available,” he told Tiki Taka, relayed by FC Inter 1908.
“He obviously said no because they are second to last, and there is a whole programme to build: United would have been very welcome.
“He turned down Tottenham in August, but he wants to come back and coach again.”